Is there a 2Gb backup set limit on Linux files?

gloyer

I've been trying to do Backups using Retrospect on W2000 to a network drive on a server running Redhat 7.1 and Samba. I'm successful with backup sets that get to 1.1Gb in size, but larger (5Gb is the next size I've tested) fail with a bad file header problem, every time. Am I running into a 2Gb file size limitation (like dump)? If so, does anyone know of a workaround?

Are you backing up to a tape drive on the Win2K machine or a hard drive? If it's a hard drive and the drive is formatted as FAT32, it could be because of the 4 GB file limitation FAT32 has. Because Retrospect writes File Backup Sets to a single file, each backup set cannot exceed 4 GB due to the file system's limitation.

If this doesn't solve it, give some more info. Is does the backup fail at a certain point or file? or does it fail right away?

(email replies seems not to be working, sorry for the slow response)

I'm backing the W2K client to a Linux hard drive server over the network. The backup appears to succeed, in that a file of the approximate correct size of about 6.5Gb is written to the disk, but it fails when it tries to verify the backup with a bad backup file header error. The error occurs at different apparent addresses, but appears to fail every time at the first verify attempt. Nothing is ever verified. It also goes into a loop trying and retrying the header, but that's an unrelated problem, I think. I have tested backups up to 1.1Gb successfully, but the next size up I tried was over 4Gb. I suggested the 2Gb limit because "dump" has that limitation on Linux.

• 1 month later...

Archived