Mounted server-volumes

Hi!

With Retrospect 4.3 Desktop Edition I made a setup where I backed up mounted server volumes. This worked perfectly, already backed up files were remembered. I now upgraded my machine to MacOS X and installed Retrospect 5 Desktop Edition. Backup of local volumes is no problem, backed up files are remembered correctly and only changed files are copied to the backup set. The problem lies in the mounted server volumes: some folders aren't backed up at all and the others are backed up completely every time.

Is this a known problem? As I use Retrospect only as a private person I would be pleased to be able to backup mounted server volumes as until now.

Rejeanne

Hello

I am having the same problem. I have an OSX server and I mount one directory on the desktop. Previously, under OS9 and and Retrospect 4 I could just back up local files and the mounted server files fine.

With OSX and Retro 5.0 it doesn't backup the server files at all if the volume is mounted. And what is bothersome it doesn't give any indication that it has skipped everything.

If I unmount the server volume and then do a backup. Retrospect asks me for a password to mount the missing volume and then does a backup. Unfortunately, it frequently does a different set and does the whole volume not the incremental files.

From some hacking around it would appear that at least part of the problem is privileges for the server volume and retrospect sees the items in the directory as not being accessible. (Despite the fact that the volume is mounted and being accessed by the same login as the one that Retrospect asks for)

Also when I have the server volume mounted and I start the backup, the files on the server volume disappear. I then have to log off the server and back on and everything is fine.

I've tried making logon name and password administrators on both the computer and the local OSX computer.

It's a nuisance and wish I could figure out how to make it work like OS9 Retro 4

Bill

Muscatine noticed:

Previously, under OS9 and and Retrospect 4 I could just back up local files and the mounted server files fine.

Which you can still do under OS 9 and and Retrospect 5.

The difference is that you have changed operating systems, and it's a much different place to play.

This has been discussed on the Forum already, starting in the first few days of Retrospect 5.0's release.

Here's something copied from another thread (about using an AFP volume to store File Type Backup Sets, but backing up files on servers has similar issues):

Here's the scoop for backing up to a File Type backup set stored on mounted server volumes:

Netware doesn't work. Sorry.

AFP (Apple File Protocol) servers do work, but only with proper configuration and with some limitations.

Here's the problem; when you mount an AFP server volume from the Aqua Finder, the Mac OS comes to an understanding that you (the current Aqua user) is authorized to access the files on that volume (since you provided the correct login/password).

But Retrospect is not running as the current Aqua user; Retrospect is running as root (necessary to have access to all the files on your system). When Retrospect attempts to access files on this mounted volume, the Mac OS says sorry, you don't have the right.

But there is a way. If you have Retrospect login the volume, everything works. Here's how:

- Mount the AFP volume with your login/password

- In Retrospect's Configure->Volumes tab, select the mounted volume and choose "Configure..." from the Volumes menu (or press Command+J)

- Enter the password for this volume

- Choose "Put Away" from the Volume menu (or unmount the volume from the Finder)

- Now select the grey icon of the volume and click either the Subvolume or Browse button

Retrospect will then mount the volume, and you can create a File Type backup set in any directory for which you have write access. If you use scripts, Retrospect will auto-mount the volume for the script, and dismount it when done. Security can be maintained by using Retrospect's "always authenticate" feature.

Note that if Retrospect mounts the server you won't be able to view it from the Finder! Same reason as before; the Mac OS isn't going to give access to an AFP volume to another user then the one who mounted it.

One caution: if you have an existing file you wish to move to a mounted server, there's a problem. Once you copy the file to your server directory, Retrospect will not be able to "see" this file from its GetFile dialog box in:

Configure->Backup Sets->More->Open

UNLESS the entire path to the location is world readable. Now, it only has to be world readable for the time it takes to 'open' the File; after that Retrospect will be able to use the catalog. But for many server users this simply will not be possible (try asking a unix server admin to do that and watch the steam explode out of his/her ears!).

One way around this is to use Tools->Copy->Transfer and move the contents of your existing file to a new file created using the steps above. The downside here is that you will loose any older Snapshots in the process, but all the data will move over and be accessible for restores.

Dave

Ok that all fits with the findings.

I don't think it explains why when I logoff from the finder and then login from retrospect it doesn't do an incremental back up. I backs up 1.5 GB each time.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, and sorry I didn't pick this up from earlier posts.

Bill

Archived