Re: Can't login to OSX Client over airport

Ramallah

See Can't login to OSX Client over airport

A further attempt to uninstall and reinstall Client in OSX was more successful and the client panel is now (correctly) named iBOOK Waiting for first Access – but (unlike when running in OS9) still no mention of TCP/IP.

Client is still not found when Desktop is in OSX. When Desktop is running in OS9 and Configure Clients/Network is clicked, Client 1 is now recognised (when Type set to OSX) as "iBOOK [not, as previously, name of home]... not logged in". When Log In is clicked, same old error message occurs – "Can't log in, error -1028 (client is not visible on network)". This seems odd since it is visible enough for the change in name to be recognised.

Should the Client panel show TCP/IP in OSX as it does in OS9? (there are no ethernet connections to the laptop)

How do I make it recognisible? I have repaired privileges, and reset permissions. TCP/IP on Client is set to "Using DHCP server". There is no problem mounting the laptop on the Main computer.

Check the Firewall settings under OS X on *both* computers. This is in the Sharing preferences pane and then the Firewall tab. If the firewall is on, then you must open (allow/turn on) port 497. Sometimes this is already included in the scrolling list of ports (labeled "Retrospect (497)") and sometimes not. If it's not already there, click New.

My recollection is that what you are describing of a client showing up but being unable to be logged in because it's "not visible on the network" is the symptom of not having port 497 open. This doesn't apply to MacOS 9 because it doesn't have a built in firewall. The server also needs that port open and I'm guessing this is why you don't see any client at all when the server is running under OS X, and when it runs under OS 9 you see the client, but then the client's port being closed comes into play.

Something else that has been stated here many times is that it seems to help Retrospect running through Airport to have Airport as the first network type in the Network preference pane. Go to the Network pane and opposite "Show:" select "Network Port Configurations". Drag Airport to the top of that list so it has highest priority.

I may have found a simpler answer to this through the school of hard knocks. Use the panel to locate the OS9 client and tell Retrospect to "forget" it. Then go to OSX & it will see the client and allow you login. Seems to be required whenever you reinstall or upgrade. At least this worked for me...

That would be true if the client had already been logged into that Retrospect server. If the conditions of the client change (e.g,. the IP number is different when the client was originally added by IP#) so that the server doesn't recognize it as the same machine, then the "old" (previously logged in) client will be visible in the list but grayed out because the server doesn't "see" it. The "new" client still has the same name, so it won't show up because it's being covered up by its "old" self. In this situation the only way out is to forget the old instance of the client so the new one becomes visible and then you can add it. However, if this happens there is a good chance the client wasn't added the right way the first time around and it would pay to look more closely at how it's done the second time. (E.g., clients with dynamic IP numbers should not be added by IP number.) This will happen any time you uninstall/reinstall, but shouldn't happen with an upgrade where you didn't uninstall first.

Reading this thread I don't see any clues to my problem, but it's the only one dealing with Airport so here goes:

Dantz admits that Retrospect won't backup wireless clients unless certain conditions are met. These are outlined in their KnowledgeBase document 27710. "The quick answer is that if your wireless users either have fixed non-shared IP address or get their IP addresses from a DHCP server on your non-wireless LAN, then Retrospect will work seamlessly with your wireless clients. "

Perhaps someone can tell me in what way my setup fails to meet these seemingly simple requirements.

I have two OSX Macs running Airport, an Airport Extreme Base Station, and a NetGear Router. The client Mac is running Retro Client 5.0.540. The server Mac is running Retro 5.1. Following (I thought) Dantz's instructions, I hooked the Airport Base Station to the router and turned off NAT in the base station. The router is also set not to use DHCP. I have configured both Macs with fixed IP addresses in Airport (10.0.1.3 and 10.0.1.4). They see each other fine over the network and can connect to the Internet. As far as I can tell I have two fixed, non-shared IP addresses, and Airport is not doing any NAT.

However, Retro 5.1 absolutely WILL NOT SEE the client Mac sinced moving to the wireless side. (It used to back up fine over wired Ethernet.) The client Mac's copy of Retro client says it's on and waiting for a connection. I have checked both sides' firewalls and neither one is on. I have rebooted and rebooted. I have deleted the old client icon in the Client Configuration window based on a commenet somewhere that the old" icon can mask a new IP configuration. Still nothing.

I am out of ideas. Please help.

Thanks for this.

I seldom use Ethernet so Airport has always been highest priority. Port 497 was not showing in either Firewall panel so I enabled it on both as you suggested. The results were mixed.

After these changes, the server running OS9 was now able to log into the Client when it was running OSX ( I had to 'forget' the old iBOOK to free up a licence). Sometimes, however,Retrospect crashed after successfully scanned the Client but before starting the backup. The OSX client panel says it is ready (it is not aware of the Backup history noted on the OS9 panel), but it still does not refer to TCP/IP (if that is relevant) .

When the server and client are both running in OSX, I still get the 'no client found' response even with no other client logged on and a licence available for use. So though I can back up by a roundabout route, I still cannot do so in the default operating system of both computers.

OK, after much trial and error I managed to get the server to see my Mac client over wireless. That's the good news. The bad news is that backup is proceeding at the speedy rate of 4MB/min.

Here's the setup: Airport Extreme BAse Station with Distribute IP addresses unchecked and plugged into a NetGear Router, which is also has the DSL modem. Server Mac G5 has Airport Extreme Card, client G3 Powerbook has old-style Lucent wi-fi card in CardBus slot. Powerbook Driver is open-source from SourceForge.net. (This Powerbook predates Airport.) Server and client Macs have fixed 10.0.1.x IP adresses.

FWIW, the Internet connection of both machines is speedy.

One headache for me was figuring out how to uncheck distribute IP addresses without losing contact with the Base Station over Airport Admin Utiility. In its default state, its address is 10.0.1.1, but as soon as I uncheck Distribute IP Addresses and update the base station, its IP address becomes my static public IP address and there's no further way to configure it short of resetting it manually. Since the router actually handles the WAN connection to the Internet, I wind up with two hardward devices configured for my public IP address. This can't be good.

Any advice appreciated.

Archived