Supported Firewire CD-RW & OS X?

Could someone from Dantz please explain/confirm what CD-RW drives are supported by Retrospect 5.0 in OS X?

I'm looking to buy both Retrospect Desktop and a new FireWire CD-RW drive, but I cannot find any clear info on supported drives. The supported drives list doesn't make clear if they are for OS X. The posting on this site lists a number of drive mechanisms but not the manufacturers.

Dantz, could you please spare potential customers from having to research each drive's mechanism and give a list of supported drives as they are currently on the market? I called customer support earlier today only to hold in silence for 20 minutes on my dime before I gave up and hung up. I asked this same question via e-mail to tech support several days ago but haven't received an answer.

Specifically, I was looking at the new Cyclones and EZ-Quest Boa lines. All of these are 32x or 40x write speed. Dantz' supported device list (which as I said doesn't specify the OS) includes these models, but only earlier speeds around 12x or 24x maybe.

So to rephrase, what specific brands and models of FireWire CD-RW drives currently on the market at the major distributors with write speads of >= 32x are qualfied for use with Retrospect 5.0 for OS X??

-Gerald

i concur dantz needs to fix this problem. they're going to lose tons of marketshare for the simple reason that people are going to buy drives - oblivious to retrospect's pickiness and then find out that their drive doesn't work with retrospect.

fyi, i don't know if you happen to notice already, but the latest hardware database includes a 40X ezquest boa drive!! hooray for dantz! this is the first time i've ever seen a current model of high-speed drive on the list.

Archived