error -1002 causes?

paleolith

This started out as a question, but I think I've identified the problem, so I'm posting it as information. And -- hint, hint -- something that might be added to the KB.

Getting error -1002 (unknown Mac OS error) on two files. I cannot see anything exceptional about these files. The only issue in the KB is for a pre-6.5 server and files > 1GB, and neither condition is true here. The two files (which are in the same folder) are 29MB and 55MB, so I don't really want to be using the backup set space to back them up daily.

Configuration is Retro Pro 6.5 on Win XP Home, client is Mac 5.1.157 under Mac OS 9.1. I have gotten these errors in backing up to both a HD set and to DVD+R. After a couple of DVD backups, the errors were still outstanding. On the backups to HD, one of the errors disappeared after the first backup but the other stuck through a dozen backups or so.

The files appear to copy correctly and then get an error later. It's not clear to me whether the later error occurs at the end of the copy or during the compare.

The clue came when I tried to look at the offending folder from another Mac, the one from which I normally control the system hosting these files. I could not open the folder: "not enough privileges". I went to the Mac in question and, sure enough, the Sharing setting were different from most on that system. I suspect they got set that way during application installation and never changed, though I cannot be sure. Unfortunately I did not record the details before fixing the problem, so I can't say for sure what the "bad" settings were.

But it does seem clear that some security issue can lead to this "unknown Mac OS error".

It would be awfully nice if this possibility were mentioned in the KB.

Even better would be if Retrospect would report the details of this "unknown" error. When you won't tell me what the unknown error is, how can I make it known?

Edward

Archived