Retrospect Express 5 flaky

I just upgraded my PowerComputing clone with an 80G ATA/IDE disk, clean install of OS 9.2.2 (OldWorld), and installed Retrospect Express 5.0.238 from Norton SystemWorks CD. Retrospect is flaky. Sometimes it works ok, but when I just open it, select Configure / Devices, close the Devices window, then all the Retrospect buttons and tabs are greyed out. Sometimes I press a greyed-out button and it works. Usually shortly after this, I get an error from Finder saying that the Fuji FinePix application has aborted and I should reboot. If I don't select Configure / Devices, then I can do a Backup to a hard disk (File) on an ATA disk partition/volume ok.

I tried rebooting with just the Base extension set, but that didn't make any difference. I tried booting with no extensions, but then Retrospect complains about a missing extension.

Thanks for any help.

Ken

If the problem is occuring when you go to Configure > Devices, the next step would be to outline exactly what devices you have hooked up to the computer. If you remove all external devices (execpt the backup hard drive) does the problem go away?

Archived