different modification date/time error

hello. i am often getting the following error in my backup logs. the error appears irregularly, and with diffrent files mentioned. does anyone know the cause of the error? i tried searching for it but didn't see anything. thanks!

File “addresses categories”: different modification date/time (set: 5/8/2003 1:15:23 AM, vol: 5/8/2003 4:15:31 AM), path: “Server:Databases:Auto Open:addresses categories”.

File “Book Catalogue”: different modification date/time (set: 5/8/2003 1:15:23 AM, vol: 5/8/2003 4:15:31 AM), path: “Server:Databases:Auto Open:Book Catalogue”.

File “Calendar”: different modification date/time (set: 5/8/2003 1:15:23 AM, vol: 5/8/2003 4:15:31 AM), path: “Server:Databases:Auto Open:Calendar”.

File “CD Anthology”: different modification date/time (set: 5/8/2003 1:15:23 AM, vol: 5/8/2003 4:15:31 AM), path: “Server:Databases:Auto Open:CD Anthology”.

File “cd anthology entries”: different modification date/time (set: 5/8/2003 1:15:23 AM, vol: 5/8/2003 4:15:31 AM), path: “Server:Databases:Auto Open:cd anthology entries”.

After making copies of all files to be backed up, Retrospect goes back to the source and rereads each file and compares it to the corresponding file read from the backup media. If they are not identical, Retrospect displays an error.

Retrospect will try to copy any files that don't verify during the next normal backup to this backup set.

If the error is a different modify date or time (such as "File 'Home.html': different modify date/time.") then the file was most likely modified or saved between the original backup pass and the compare pass. The file will be recopied at the next backup.

Verification errors which mention data or resource offsets (such as "File 'Bore Dimensions': didn't compare at data offset 263 078" or "File 'Port Flow specs': didn't compare at resource offset 731 429") usually indicate problems with the communications bus.

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the information. Based on your note, my understanding is that the backup still completed successfully, right? The "error message" is just indicating that the file changed between the backup and the verify.

Thanks!

.a

Quote:

aho said:
Thanks for the information. Based on your note, my understanding is that the backup still completed successfully, right? The "error message" is just indicating that the file changed between the backup and the verify.

This is often true, but not necessarily. Yes, all the other files were backed up correctly. However, if a file was modified WHILE it was being backed up, then the backup copy may not be a good file -- it may contain internal inconsistencies. This can happen even when the software updating the file is careful about being able to recover after a system crash.

This is especially likely to happen with databases, which are typically updated in place, rather than by writing a new copy of the document (as word processors and spreadsheets, among others, usually do). I notice that the path name to the files contains the item "Databases".

This is why Retrospect will copy the file again on the next incremental backup, and why you should give it the chance to do so. The rest of your backup is fine, but if those files are important, then do not count on those copies being good.

Edward

Archived