Unattended backup reusing old media

Hi all!

I am new here and still finding my way around. But I have a question I would like to ask that cannot wait.

I found out after several tests that Retrospect reuses old media "only" if its backup set is removed. But old backup sets are not removed automatically after a certain period passed. How then does Retrospect handles unattended backup wherein it could reuse old media without the need of the administrator being around to confirm the reusing of a media? Is there a way to disable the prompt to reuse old media and have it automatically proceed?

Any inputs are very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Retrospect will reuse old media automatically with a Recycle backup, providing you are using the media from the set you are recycling.

For example, if you have scheduled Backup Set A to perform a Recycle backup every Friday night, you must have the Backup Set A tape(s) inserted. Retrospect will first erase and reuse 1-Backup Set A, and so on.

Go to Configure > Preferences > Erasure and make sure the "Automatically reuse media" option is checked.

Hello. We have AIT-2 jukebox with 8 tapes. We want to do this:

a) Full backup of servers to as many tapes as needed (so far only 2 tapes).

B) Remove tapes and store off site.

c) Full backup of laptops to one tape.

d) Remove tape and store off site.

e) Either continue with un-used tapes, or refill jukebox.

f) Have very little manual intervention.

How do I make part (a-B) repeat? I want full backups all the time on new media. The catalog of files can stay online, but I don't mind rereading catalogs from tapes when necessary.

So, is it possible to label the tapes before hand, so the machine know which tapes to use?

I am not interested in the incremental backups.

Please reply here and to flyddw@yahoo.com

Derek Williams

Hi Derek!

2 backup sets in your case should be used, 1 for the servers and 1 for the laptops. The backup sets should be set to recycle media if you're using old tapes or to skip to blank media if you are using just blank tapes all the time.

An idea is to schedule the backup set for the servers to run only every MWF and the other backup set for laptops every TThS. So every morning of Tuesdays, you could remove the tapes used for the server backup to bring off site and the remaining will be used by Retrospect for backing up laptops on Tuesday night...

Archived