Linux client and Multicast

Hi Guys,

I'm having a problem "discovering" Linux clients via the Multicast method. I can find then with a subnet broadcast and via direct IP Address. I'm having this problem with both Retrospect for Windows and Retrospect for MacOS. I'm not having this problem with MacOS or Windows clients.

I'm only having this problem with Linux machines which have 2 NICs. More to the point I'm only having this problem on Linux machines which have the Retrospect client bound to one NIC when the "gateway" is on the subnet associated with the second NIC (i.e. the Linux machine itself is the gateway for the LAN and its gateway is on its secondary NIC). The Linux machine is running ipchains, but restrictive rules are only set up for the "exposed" secondary NIC.

It would appear that the Restrospect client is sending its response to the multicast to the NIC identified as being the one with the gateway rather than the NIC which received the multicast (i.e. the primary NIC).

Is this normal behaviour? Is it a Linux or Retrospect client problem?

Cheers, Malcolm

Hi,

What you should do is to attach the Retrospect client to the correct IP address.

In order to do this stop the Retrospect client:

./ retrocpl -stop

and attach the IP address to the Retrospect client

./ retroclient -ip x.x.x.x -deamon

restart the Retrospect client

./ retrocpl -on

david

Hi,

I always modify /etc/rc.d/init.d/rcl to start the client as a daemon with a specific IP address as I originally encountered problems when two NICs were active.

I can routinely reproduce this problem by simply changing the gateway address on the my Linux machines such that its on the secondary interface while the client is on the primary interface.

It would appear that the linux clients directs its multicast responses to the NIC in the gateways subnet.

Locating a client by subnet broadcast or direct IP works fine. I've only really noticed this issue as Retrospect Desktop for MacOS v5.1 only supports discovery by multicast and I was baffled by the fact that Retrospect Server for Windows could see my linux machines, but my Mac couldn't.

Cheers, Malcolm

Archived