Can't duplicate client to an external hard drive attached to it

dgh7g

I am trying to duplicate a client's internal drive to the same client's external drive. I keep getting error 1017 permission errors. I then attach the external drive to my main computer and have no problems. Why can't I duplicate my client's internal drive to an attached external usb drive?

My setup is: I have a client computer with an attached external hard drive. The network is peer to peer. The drive is set to share everying. I've mapped the drive on the main retrospect computer so that it appears in windows explorer as a network drive with a letter. I configured the mapped drives in Retrospect such that they were recognized volumes, but not source volumes. No logon seemed required but I tried the administrator account with password too. As a test, I was able to write and erase files on the mapped drive via windows explorer, confirming I had at least that permission to change files.

I'm having a very similiar problem. I have Retrospect installed on one machine that is trying to backup to an external hard disk that is on another system (entire drive is shared). If I do an immediate backup it works fine but any scheduled backups give me the "insufficient priveleges" error. I can get to the drive and write to it in explorer, and whats even wierder is Retrospect creates some directories and files when doing the backup, but it just won't actually backup.

Is working with external hard drives that are on remote computers not allowed? I can't find the right combination of options to get it to work.

- Jason Zisk

Hi,

When duplicating via Retrospect Client software, you cannot have the source and destination be on the same client. If you must duplicate from one hard disk on a single client to another hard disk on the same client, you have to do the operation in two stages, copying the data to a different place first, for example on another client, or on the backup computer's hard disk.

David

Archived