Adding to backup set from file server, wants to rewrite all files

Any thoughts on a very perplexing problem I am having backing up a Linux/netatalk file server.

Some time ago I added two entire AFP server volumes to an archival DVD-R backup set. Today I wish to add changed files to the backup set. However, Retrospect 5.0.238 is not considering the unchanged files as matching the previously catalogued files. (No diamonds; and wants to write every file afresh.)

Inspecting the Finder Get Info versus storageset Get Info, I did see a discrepancy in Modified timestamps of exactly one hour. I've seen this bug before (daylight saving maybe?) and was able to get the timestamps to match by shifting server clock by one hour. However Retrospect still does not match the files.

I'd be surprised if Retrospect requires an exact match of timestamps if a file server is involved. I understood there is some kind of tolerance that can still allow incremental backups to work. (I notice other posters have asked about this before, with no clarification forthcoming.)

I do NOT want to archive 21GB all over again when only a fraction of that is new. (Especially as I need to do this twice, I keep a duplicate backup set.) What can I do to get around this problem?

Archived