Proactive backup command to wait for user input.

Is there a gui command to inform Retrospect v6.0 Proactive client Backup to wait for user input at the end of the current backup process? Presently, I have to watch the Proactive backup progress dialog, and catch after catalog update and closing completes, and click the dialog button "Close" to end the Proactive Client Backup process.

I'm not sure I understand your question. With Proactive Client backups, once a client has completed backing up, Proactive will start polling looking for any sources that need to be backed up. Once a source is detected, the next backup will begin.

What kind of user input do you want it to wait for? It's not possible to configure Retrospect to automatically 'pause' after each backup.

Okay let me provide some background, we have about 100 Proactive Client Backups per Server, and the script runs 20 hours daily, backups run continuously. If I want need to interupt the server, for any reason, it's a manual operation. I watch the Proactive dialog box until the client is "closed" then I close the Proactive script. This can take 40 minutes, during that time I get interuted, and miss my closing window, and have to wait for another client to complete. It would be very usefull have a "conditional close" which would be executed when the current backup is completed. It's difficult to explain, I hope this helps.

I see... There is no way to 'conditionally close' Retrospect, however, 6.5 introduced the ability to multi-task while a backup is running. You don't have to stop Proactive Client backup to perform other functions in Retrospect (such as setting up scripts, logging in clients, etc.). It also introduced multiple execution units - you can backup up to 8 sources simultaneously to different sources.

http://www.dantz.com/en/products/business.dtml

Archived