Assert error - Access Violation

We are having this assert error. It's the same everytime. It seems to be realated to our tape drive since backing up to files hasn't caused it to fail.

HP Autoloader 2/28 (C1194) DLT4000 drive (Quantum).

PIII 900MHz

Advansys SCSI card (qLogic chip).

Win2kPro SP3 -- Clean install.

This error was constant, though unpredictable. It started after upgrading to 6.5 Multi-Server. I tested it with a different autoloader (still a DLT4000 drive) and it worked fine. But w/ the HP it fails. I did updates, changed configs, played w/ any other settings I could think of.

Finally I reloaded the system from scratch. Reinstalled Win2k, upgraded to SP3 (no other updates applied), installed 6.5, updated + newest RDU.

The only thing I kept from the old install was the config files, as it would take a long time to relogin to all the clients we have.

It failed again... Exact same error.

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION

The only other programs that were loaded were Timbuktu (remote administration) and Stuffit Expander.

It's not the SCSI card itself as it works fine w/ a different autoloader and I get the same error with a different SCSI card.

I'm trying it w/ NT passthrough enabled, we'll see how that goes, but I tied that before w/ no luck.

Other than that, I suppose I'll have to try it with fresh config files too and redo all that from scratch. Any tapeset that is used is recreated, so we don't have anything left over from 6.0.

I'm stumped...

I'm going to try to load Retro onto my personal workstation and attach that to the autoloader and see what happens if it fails again w/ NT passthrough. I'm going to do that because of the amazing stability of my personal machine and the fact that I KNOW it has no problems.

The only things I can think of are that..

-SP3 is causing problems

-TB2 is causing problems

-The autoloader is FUBAR, I could test this pretty easily by attaching it to a Macintosh w/ Retro 4.3. I had to do that when we first got it to test it out, so I know it SHOULD work just fine.

-Retro's config files are FUBAR and I need to start from scratch.

Perhaps upgrade the DLT4000 drives to DLT7000 drives and see what happens. This was a planned upgrade anyway, but I don't want to spend the money if it's still going to be useless anyway. Just a more expensive autoloader that can't be used.

Some guidance and hard evidence of what the problem is would be VERY helpfull. Any thoughts or suggestions would be nice too.

homer.gif

It sounds like you're already on the right track. The SCSI card works fine with other drives on the same computer. If the loader fails on another computer, that's the most likely culprit. Hard to say whether the drive mechanism or the loader itself is at fault. You may want to check the hardware vendor site for recommended troubleshooting steps.

Archived