HELP!!! Disappearing Backup Set Members

I use a ten tape loader. Retrospect has been acting crazy with unnamed tapes (different problem), so I ended up with several tapes (Members) in my current backup set (Remotes July) that didn't have much on them, named 4-Remotes July and 5-Remotes July. The current Tape is 6-Remotes July. So I decided I'd consolidate this data and re-use those tapes. I transferred all the data on those tapes (using backup date filters), to a new backup set on the hard disk, then I transferred all the data from that backup set back to the original Remotes July backup set, where it got written onto Tape 6-Remotes July. I then marked Members 4-Remotes July and 5-Remotes July as Missing, and erased the tapes. Well the latest backup just ran and I was horrified to find that the backup is now writing to one of the erased tapes, which it has named 4-Remotes July. I had expected it to continue writing to 6-Remotes July. Also, when I look at the backup set members, only 1,2,3 & 4-Remotes July are listed (6, which I know contains data that should be in this backup set is not listed).

1. What did I do wrong"

2. Can I get the data that's on 6-Remotes July back into the Remotes July backup set (or even into a new backup set? Can I do a re-create from tape somehow? Having messed this up once I thought I'd better seek advice before making things even worse :-)

thanks,

Mike

Archived