Error mounting blank tapes

I'm using Multi-server Version 6.0.206 with a 10 tape Overland LoaderXpress Model No: DLT-LXLS4110J. When the back up gets to the end of a tape, it looks for the next tape in the set, but I don't normally pre-name the tapes, so it should use a blank tape. However instead I get an error message "Device Trouble "8-BackUp Set Name" error 102 (trouble communicating)" - where 8 is the next tape number. When I click OK on the error message, it then displays the Devices window. I can drag a blank tape to the drive and everything then proceeds OK until it needs another tape, when the error recurs. I have "Unattended Backup" checked and "Automatic skip to blank media" checked in the Preferences. Have I missed a check box somewhere?

Thanks

Mike

Troubleshooting article didn't help. I have also discovered that the Proactive backup doesn't have this problem. We run a regular backup at night to backup the desktop PCs and a ProActive backup during the day for laptops. When the regular backup fails, I can click OK on the error message, cancel out of the Devices window (without manually loading a blank tape) then start the ProActive backup. It will then look look for the next tape in the set, the same as regular backup does, but it will load and use a blank tape just fine. I was wondering if the "Retrospect Driver Update for Retrospect 6.0 (Win) version 3.8.106" would help but I'm confused by the version number. In Help - About it says the version number I'm using is 6.0.206 which isn't even close to 3.8.106. Is this update applicable to my version?

thanks,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Archived