Xserve with two ethernet cards

I am setting up a couple of Xserve with Xserve Raids. I have two ethernet cards in each Xserve. One card is being used for the public connection to the LAN and the other will be used in a private network between my Xserves. I will be using Retrospect to back up the primary Xserve to the backup. I will be using Retropect Server on a separate tape server with the client software on each Xserve.

What I want to know is, is there any way to tell Retropect to use the IP address associated with the private network and not the public connection?

At this time Dantz has not tested Xserve RAID with Retrospect, and it is not supported.

To be notified when the Xserve RAID compatibility status changes, please join our Xserve newsletter at:

http://list.dantz.com/mailman/listinfo/xserve

It is not possible to bind Retrospect to specific IP addresses. You can change the order of the interfaces in System Preferences > Network, which may allow better communication between server and client if you are experiencing difficulties. The private adapter should be listed first in the list, under Network Port Configurations.

I think I sorta figured this out myself. I installed the client software on the Xserves with the Raids and then added them via the "add by IP Address" button in Retrospect. I made sure I added them using the IP Address on the private LAN. Won't this accomplish what I am looking for? It seems to work, though I have not checked to make sure it is operating on the private LAN yet.

Archived