Problems restoring Dynamic Drives

I have been able to narrow down my problem with my Dell servers to the fact that Retrospect does not seem to restore properly when the boot drive has been upgraded to Dynamic. Here is what I tested:

1. Backed up server; drive is "basic" - restored file back onto same volume (did not reinstall Windows first): successful restore.

2. Backed up server; drive is "basic" - restore onto new volume after rebuilding same volumes but not upgrading them to dynamic: restore successful.

3. Backed up server; drive is "basic" - restore onto new volume after rebuilding same volumes then tried to upgrade drive to dynamic: restore successful but could not upgrade hard drive - every attempt ended in a BSD & the upgrade rolled back to basic drive.

4. Backed up server; drive is "dynamic" - restore onto new volume after rebuilding same volumes and upgrading them to dynamic: restore appears to be successful but BSD upon reboot - to this point have not been able to figure out how to successfully recover the boot drive. Rebuilding using Windows server software does not fix boot problem - only solution to date is to rebuild whole server from scratch.

There is still more testing that needs to be made - such as using dynamic drives for Drive 1 (when it is not the boot drive), etc.

Anyone done any testing on Dell (Poweredge) servers, Windows 2000/2003 Server and dynamic drives - and able to restore them successfully?

Thanks!

Rich Logan

IS Manager

Stokes Lawrence, P.S.

(206) 892-2154

Archived