Trouble Recovering Dell Server

I have been testing my ability to recover our Dell servers - and keep running into the same road block - and am hoping that someone on this forum can help me out.

We do a backup of our Dell servers (PowerEdge 2300 & PowerEdge 4400).

We then restore the server and reboot.

Upon reboot, we get the BSD - as it tries to boot up. It *does* get to the Windows 2000 screen showing the bars across the bottom - so it is *trying* to boot up.

I have heard that Dell has problems with the boot.ini file - but this shouldn't be the case in our situation - as we have eliminated all of these partitions upon receipt of the machines. The only thing I can think of is that we have upgraded all drives to being "dynamic", rather than basic drives - has anyone run into this? Has anyone run into a problem trying to restore the files on a Dell server? Even if I try to do a repair of the OS, upon reboot, I have the same problem - and I cannot get successful boot no matter what I select (safe boot, etc.) If I blow away the partition & reinstall Windows, the server works just fine - but that is not what I want. I have even tried backing up the System State separately & restoring it after the successful restore, but that hasn't fixed the problem.

Note: We are just talking about a basic server here - not an Exchange server or Domain controller...

We are using Windows 2000 with SP3 and all latest patches.

For Client, we are using Retrospect 6.5

For Server, we are using Retrospec 6.5

Any ideas?

Archived