Possible conflict on Terminal server

ianc

I have set up a client with Multi Server on a Windows 2000 Server machine.

Clients run on a second 2000 Server at a remote site and on a local server that primarily provides terminal services. All three servers have SP3 and up to date security patches installed.

Everything is fine on the backup server itself and on the remote machine.

On the machine with Terminal Services installed we are getting random crashes since the Retrospect Client (6.011) was installed. I tried removing the client for a week and got no random crashes. I just restored it a couple of days ago and the crashes just started again.

The system log just shows that the last shutdown was unexpected. The last logged activity was printing a document.

The backup itself seems to work even on the terminal server - the problem does not appear to be related to communication between Retrospect and the client.

Has anyone come across apparently random conflicts resulting just from having the client installed on a machine?

Obviously if removing retrospect means the server runs reliably that is what I will have to do - but then I need an entirely different backup solution.

Thanks in advance.

In puzzlement

--Ian

Can you get any information from the System Logs as to when the machine is crashing? If so, you can compare this against the Retrospect Operations Log to see if Retrospect was actively accessing the machine at the time.

Are you using Proactive Client backup? If Retrospect is not access the client at the time of the crash, it shouldn't be causing any crashes. The client cannot initiate any activity with the backup server - it sits and waits for the server to come calling. In the mean time, it sits idle.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

The crashed problem also happen to me, same as Ian Collier's problem.

The server crashes when the backup process started.

Any solutions to solve this problem?

FYI : We are using dantz retrospect v6.0 and the retrospect client running on windows 2000 server.

Thanks in advance.

Can you get any information from the System Logs as to when the machine is crashing? If so, you can compare this against the Retrospect Operations Log to see if Retrospect was actively accessing the machine at the time.

Are you using Proactive Client backup? If Retrospect is not access the client at the time of the crash, it shouldn't be causing any crashes. The client cannot initiate any activity with the backup server - it sits and waits for the server to come calling. In the mean time, it sits idle.

Archived