RP6.5+ scheduling suggestions

1) Please provide a way to differentiate between automated jobs and manual jobs with respect to the "keep out" schedule times and wrap-up times (i.e. "When is execution allowed"). I like to set this schedule feature to prevent jobs from running during the day (e.g. in the case of a very long or a "run away" backup job) *but* I sometimes want to be able to manually run a backup (e.g. a short, specific one) during the day. The current schedule option doesn't allow this, so I have to manually set and reset the schedule. I'd like to set an option (global? when manually launching a job?) to tell RP to allow a manually launched job during the day even if it violates the general schedule.

2) Please provide an option to control RP priority when running. I noticed that FolderClone allows users to specify time-of-day ranges as High, Med. and Low priority, so that a backup can be set to run at low priority during the day but high at night.

3) Please provide a way limit the network bandwidth (in conjunction with time-of-day settings) I use other programs (e.g. ftp, news downloaders) that provide this. I backup up over a network (sometimes over a T1). During the day I don't want to bog down the network (e.g. the shared T1) but at night it's OK to use a lot more. Even then I would like to set a bandwidth limit (e.g. 1Mbit) so that I don't hog all of the T1 bandwidth.

I should point out that suggestion #3 needs to be per-script configurable rather than global. When I'm backing up to a local harddisk or over a 100Mbps switched Enet, I can generally let it rip, so I wouldn't want a 1Mbps limit when I'm used to seeing > 50Mbps while not impacting other network users. But when I'm backing up (or Data Duping) over a shared interface (e.g. T1, cable, DSL), I may want to limit bandwidth (e.g. 1Mbps) even during off-peak hours to avoid interfering with other users. So the easiest way to do this is to allow (rough) bandwidth limiting on a per-script basis.

Archived