Client private folders not working

Hello,

We are using Retrospect Multi-Server 6.0. We have certain problems with several clients running Windows 2k advanced server: The client configures private folders in the client control panel, which are always getting grayed out and deselected after a backup has run. The problem appears with client versions 5.1 and 6.0.

Is this a known problem?

Please include waldorfm@rferl.org in your response.

Thanks and best regards,

Markus Waldorf

Where are they 'grayed out'? In the client control panel? If the folders/directories are listed on the access tab of the Retrospect Client control panel they will not be available for backup. Can you provide more details on the behavior you are seeing?

The "private" folders to ingore at backup are listed under the access tab of the control panel, and have been added using the "add" button, followed by "apply". Everytime however, after a backup has run, the "private" folders checkbox gets unmarked, and the list of folder items greyed out. So it seems to work only for one time. This is happening on all our servers.

We haven't seen it or had reports on this issue. How are you logged in when installing the client? What is listed in the client Status box when this happens?

Try a clean install of the client -- uninstall / reboot / reinstall latest version.

The problem appears under client version 5.1 to 6. Our clients have been installed using the domain administrator account, but some clients have been updated using the client update feature of the Retrospect server. This tells me that its not a matter how the client was installed or what version it is. It's also happening on all our clients (windows 2000 advanced server, sp3). The status window of the client displays "ready" and the history shows "execution completed successfully". The private folder checkbox in the client access tab gets unchecked and the folders fade to grey everytime the client gets back'd up by the Retrospect server.

We were unable to reproduce the problem and have not gotten other reports of this issue, that I'm aware of, over the years since 5.1 was released. You may wish to open an incident with Technical Support directly. If the cause of the problem ends up being a bug in the software your support charges will be refunded.

http://www.dantz.com/en/support/support_options.dtml

You may want to look into third-party software that is common across all your servers, such as security software, which may be causing a conflict with the Retrospect Client. Is this only happening on your server clients? Does it happen on workstation clients? If you are not backing up workstation clients, try installing the client on one as a test.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would give an update on the problem:

The only 3rd party software beside Retosprect which was running on the Backup server was Trend Antivirus and WinWatch. I've removed Antivirius software and WinWatch but the problem still remains. However, I found out that when I add a client to the backup list and set it up to backup sub-folders instead of the default client desktop than the problem with the folder exclusion list at the client side disappears.

Archived