Trouble reading files, error 519 (network communication failed)?

chrislaf

I have my PowerBook (10/100) connected via a crossover cable to my desktop Mac with a PCI 10/100 card. The desktop is running Mac OS 9.2.2 and the current version of Retro 5. The PowerBook is running OS 10.2.6 and the current client software. The backup starts OK but often quits with the following error: Trouble reading files, error 519 (network communication failed. Any ideas why this is happening? It happens about 1 out of every 2 backups. I can restart the backup and then its usually fine.

TIA

Chris

The same problem, with a similar configuration: OS9 running Retrospect Workgroup 5.0.238 and two clients: iMac with OSX version 10.2.6 with client 5.0.540 and a Windows XP machine with client 6.0.

Before OSX was upgraded from 10.2.5 to 10.2.6 all was fine with both client backups at speeds in excess of 30 MB per minute. After upgrading to 10.2.6, the OS9 host machine and Windows XP client had no problems, but the iMac with OSX version 10.2.6 consistently failed with Trouble reading files, error 519.

The first backup after upgrading to 10.2.6 was shortly after the upgrade, so it appears that the new version of OSX was the only change. I have restarted OSX,deleted and reinstalled client 5.0.540, and forgotten and reconfigured the OSX client, all to no avail. I have no clue from Apple, as the upgrade from 10.2.5 to 10.2.6 makes no mention of networking changes. I have seen nothing in the 519 knowledge base info that leads to a solution.

Any help?? I'm at a dead end....

There are no known issues with 10.2.6 and the client software. The upgrade may have corrupted system settings in your environment. It could also be a coincidence - networking issues appearing around the time of upgrade. I would recommend troubleshooting according to error 519 tech note. A good first step is to use a crossover cable between the client and the server to rule out the physical network. Also, make sure the upgrade didn't somehow enable the OS X Firewall (Sharing > Firewall). You may even want to consider reinstalling the OS.

Amy, thanks. I checked the physical network and 519 tech note. What solved the problem was reloading the upgrade to 10.2.6, and the data rate went over 30 MB/min from the OSX client, instead of the 519 failure.

The original upgrade was the one from 10.2.5 to 10.2.6 for OSX that pops up as part of Apple's automatic software update service. The replacement upgrade was the much larger version from 10.2.X to 10.2.6. Not sure if that was a factor, but the larger version fixed the data rate problem.

Regards,

D.Stewart

Amy,

Thanks for your reply. I am still troubleshooting the issue. I still have not solved the problem yet. I only use a crossover cable so my laptop is directly connected to the server. I'll continue to check the knowledgebase and see if I can find a solution.

Chris

Archived