Restore OS 10.2.6 (5.0536 client/5 server fail) Error -34 but larger HD

I have a Titanium powerbook with a 30 GB hard drive, OS 10.2.6 and Retro Client 5.0.536. We have backed the computuer image to tape and to hard drive. We have tried 4 times to restore the full back up to the comptuer after a bigger 60 GB drive has been installed. (We have 2 60 GB new drives that have been freshly formatted.)

Every restore we have followed the instructions in the manual and every time, the restore fails after about 5.3 GB of the 23 GB image have been restored. The log reports an error -34, disk full. However, the 60 GB drive is 2X bigger than the original drive so this cannot be true.

I would appreciate any insite that anyone can share. We have been working on this since Tursday

dikeman@cerus.com

There are 50 GB still listed as available in the destination drive. The drive was formatted using OS X install disk.

Additionally, the restore always fails a t the same point - on a file called:

Macintosh HD/Library/Frameworks/Stuffit.framework/.DS_Store which we looked up and it is just an alias. Interestingly, we can restore the entire Library folder to a OS 9 Comptuer

• 1 month later...

Just confirming, today I hit the same problem on the same file.

Client running Mac OS 10.2.6 with Retrospect client 5.0536, on a 600 MHz iBook.

Retrospect Desktop 5.0.238.

First tried a disk restore over the top of the partition from which the client booted, failure.

Second tried a disk restore while booted from a different partition, failure.

Third time and apparent success, did a restore replacing matching files, and selected everything from the snapshot except the .DS_Store files.

- 2/8/2003 8:31:50 PM: Restoring from Backup Set A…

Can't write file “.DS_Store”, error -34 (volume full), path: “Bambi/Library/Frameworks/StuffIt.framework/.DS_Store”.

Trouble writing files, error -34 (volume full).

2/8/2003 9:29:58 PM: Execution incomplete.

- 2/8/2003 10:36:09 PM: Restoring from Backup Set A…

Can't write file “.DS_Store”, error -34 (volume full), path: “Bambi/Library/Frameworks/StuffIt.framework/.DS_Store”.

Trouble writing files, error -34 (volume full).

2/8/2003 11:43:08 PM: Execution incomplete.

Quote:

today I hit the same problem on the same file

The file is obviously corrupt, and Retrospect should handle it better, but I wonder, where did this file come from (since I've done lots of full restores and not had this problem). Someone in November of last year posted a log with a copy error on this same file, also something I've never personally seen.

- Does your Backup Set contain Snapshots from multiple machines? That might make it impossible to discover the actual source for that one file (since it could be a match with a file on a completely different machine).

- If your Backup Set only contains this one machine's Snapshot, what version of StuffIt is installed? I've never used anything but free versions.

But I'm going to go ahead and delete that file from my primary machine. It will rebuild itself if it's needed, and perhaps it'll avoid a problem in the future if I need to Restore (knock, loudly, on wood).

Dave

Archived