Did Retrospect Crash My Hard Drive?

I use a blue G3/OS 9.1, Retrospect 5.0.205 as my backup machine (writing to an external Firewire drive).

Added my wife's new G4 iMac/OS 10.2.6 to the script, but the client wouldn't take. So I went here to the Dantz site and discovered that Jaguar requires a client upgrade--which I did. Client now worked, and Retrospect could see it. Set full ('recycle') backup running and went off to do some errands.

Came back to discover the HD on my blue G3 was trashed--would not boot. Disk First Aid couldn't fix, nor could TechTool. Ran upstairs to the iMac and bought DiskWarrior via download, and after much foo-de-ra got DW to the external drive, booted with the OS 9.1 CD-ROM, and (fortunately!) was able to repair the drive.

Now remember: I upgraded the *client* for the OS X iMac. I did NOT upgrade Retrospect itself on the blue G3, thinking that, since it was still running OS 9.1, upgrading was either unnecessary or undesireable.

So here's the question:

Did running the upgraded client with the non-upgraded master CAUSE my HD crash? Or was it just a coincidence that I happened to be running the backup of the iMac at the same time?

The Log says the backup was stopped for unknown reasons, e.g. a power failure. I don't *think* there was a failure, as the iMac was still running (the blue G3 with its 50K files is on a UPS).

Now I'm afraid to try backing up he iMac again. Should I upgrade R5 on the 9.1 machine? Any advice would be welcome.

/Mr Lynn

Thanks, cmd--if a Guru says to, I'll do it.

But does that mean that the failure to upgrade the master caused the directory corruption on the hard drive?

It is scarey to think that Retrospect may be doing more than simply copying and cataloguing files, from client to backup medium, so much that it can trash the intermediary's (the computer managing the process) system! Is this really the case?

/Mr Lynn

Crashes trash disks. Anything that can make your machine crash can therefore trash your disk. Software isn't supposed to crash your machine, but we know it does. Was it Retrospect that was the cause? No way to know. (Although you might find a clue in /Library/Logs/CrashReporter, but if it was a system crash it is unlikely there was an opportunity to write a log.)

Archived