Getting error -1024 when trying to add clients. If I retry 5 or 6 times it will occasionally connect but connection is inconsistant and unreliable. Running Retrospect Server 5.0238 on Mac OSX server 10.2.6.

MacOSX and Windows clients running versions 5.054 and 6.0110.

I've tried with and without firewall on server and select clients with same error.

Isolated OSX server and OSX client on private network using a simple 4 port ethernet hub and get same error, so its not a router/subnet issue.

When I install Retrospect Server on a Powerbook G4 running 10.2.6 in the same subnet as the Xserve I can connect to clients without problem. So it looks very much like an issue with the Xserve hardware or OSX Server software!

Quote:

... Running Retrospect Server 5.0238 on Mac OSX server 10.2.6.

... Isolated OSX server and OSX client on private network

... So it looks very much like an issue with the Xserve hardware or OSX Server software!

How is your software configured on your hardware?

Does your XServe have multiple ethernet interfaces?

How is your Network preference pane configured?

More information is going to be necessary...

Dave

The error number is really -1028, my mistake.

The Xserve has two NICs, one built-in the other in a PCI slot. I've tried using the cards individually with both fixed and DHCP ip addresses. I also tried using them together with DHCP ip address on one and fixed IP on the second, but I get the same error. I don't think this is the problem, see below.

I cloned the OSX server operating system to a Firewire drive using Carbon Copy Cloner and then booted the known good G4 Powerbook with the Firewire Drive. Retrospect returns the same error now on the Powerbook running OSX server whereas it worked properly under regular OSX 10.2.6.

I also cloned the regular 10.2.6 OS off the Powerbook to a second Firewire drive and booted the Xserve with it. Running OSX on Retrospect connect to the clients without problem.

So, the problem seems to be with the interaction of Retrospect and OSX server 10.2.6.

I wiped the Xserve and reinstalled 10.2.4 server from dvd, reinstalled Restrospect 5.0238 and had no problems connecting to clients. I then patched the OS up to 10.2.6 and added Web Objects. Again Retrospect connects to clients without issue. Both NICs are running, one as DHCP and one fixed ip on different subnets. It seems the factory install of OSX Server was bad.

Archived