Disaster Recovery Test?

Is ther a way to test the disaster recovery process, to be sure all needed backup files are present in the backup set?

Last time we had a recycle backup, and I re-did the Disaster Recovery Disk, I wound up needing it. When I ran it, I was stunned when it asked for older backup files than existed on the recycle set. Anyone have any idea what that was all about?

Fortunately, I had made a copy of the old backup before the recycle ran, to protect against just such a situation, but I don't want to have to continue to do that. We don't have infinite space here...

Any help / suggestions appreciated.

... for your response.

Just so you know, in the situation I was just describing, I made the Emergency disk after the recycle backup had executed, and it was based on that back-up.

When I ran the recovery disk, it defaulted to the correct backup set, but then asked for files from the set that existed before the recycle.

You have described how I expected the software to act. Here (above) is how it did act.

So, we've neither answered the question of "why" (the problem) nor the question of "how" (for testing) so far.

Thanks again.

Archived