Windows 6.0 Clients NOT working.... as usual.

OK... i have had enough frustration with windows clients. I have 2 Windows 2000 Server clients with multiple NIC's and the Retrospect Clients will NOT start up properly. I have scoured these forums and the Dantz knowledgebase and have re-installed retrospect about 5-6 times (with restarts) on each machine but to no avail. Yes I can ping the boxes from the backup server, yes, these boxes are configured properly with TCP/IP.. blah... blah... blah..

There is a knowledgebase article on Windows machines with multiple NIC's but when i change the registry value (as the article suggests) for the BindListener key to the correct value and restart the machine, the retrospect service resets the BindListener key BACK to 0.0.0.0. I really need some help here as these servers NEED to be backed up. I do believe this is a multiple NIC problem because one of the servers USED to backup properly but, since i put in ANOTHER NIC, no go.

I am backing up these boxes from an xServe using Retrospect Server v. 5.0.236. But like i said, its a client problem... not a server problem. Proof? i tried doing port scans for the Retro Client port (497) and the boxes are NOT responding on that port at all and of course the Retrospect Client Control Panel on the windows boxes says 'Client networking not available, or service not running. and the service IS running in the Services Control Panel

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

-erik

Quote:

There is a knowledgebase article on Windows machines with multiple NIC's but when i change the registry value (as the article suggests) for the BindListener key to the correct value and restart the machine, the retrospect service resets the BindListener key BACK to 0.0.0.0.

This should only happen if you don't stop the Retrospect client _before_ changing the Registry, as outlined in the instructions.

--

You must be using NT/2000/XP and want to force the client to bind to a FIXED address.

1. Use the services control panel to halt the Retrospect Client service.

2. In Regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dantz\Client\5.0

3. Change the BindListener value from "0.0.0.0" to the desired address.

4. Start the client service, open the control panel & verify the status is Ready or Waiting for first access.

Tutorial:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27523

Amy,

thanks... that was not the article i looked at previously and i don't remember reading about stopping the service first.... so anyway, i did what you asked and it worked.... i DO have one more question though... why, on one of my boxes, in the Services Control Panel, is there something called "Retropect Helper" and that service doesn't exist on the other server?

But seriously, thank you for the help, this problem has been boggling me for months.

-Erik

Hi Erik -

Glad the problem is resolved! laugh.gif

The Retrospect Helper Service is used in the event of a Windows 2000 or XP registry restore of an entire disk or of the registry. After executing the restore of the entire disk or registry, the Retrospect Helper Service may ask you to boot up in registry restore mode so that the restore can complete. The Helper Service then completes the restore of the Windows 2000 and XP "System State" data. The service may not necessarily be installed or turned on all the time or on all computers.

Retrospect only uses the helper service during a disaster recovery or "live restore" of the operating system or registry.

Archived