I'm using Retrospect Backup (5.0.238) on a Mac running OS 10.2.5. I'm backing up to a LaCie AIT-2 firewire device.

I'm on tape of a backup set. When I try to add to the backup, I get a

" Catalog out of sync with backup set “Backup 2003”.

Select Tools>Repair>Update Existing from the Directory." error message.

I've tried to update the backup, but it never seems to complete. The tape rewinds, tries to locate and then nothing happens. The cursor turns into the "spinning beachball" if I pass it over the Retrospect window. I can work within other programs.

Two questions:

1) is it possible to repair this tape in another way?

2) If not, can I re-record over this tape (make retrospect forget Tape #7 and start as if it never existed)?

Or, do I just skip this tape and move on to number 8? I don't see an option for this.

Thanks,

Chris Conroy

cc@heartwoodmedia.com

From what you've described it sounds like your tape drive is having trouble locating the correct spot on your tape. The way this works is that Retrospect tells the tape drive the place on the tape to look, then the drive tries to find that spot. In the rare case that it is not able to find that spot, it either returns an error or (as you've seen) "locates" seemingly forever.

This is usually caused either by trouble with your media, your drive, or some other problem along your Mac's device bus. Does this happen when you try to use any other tape? If so, it's probably not a bad tape. To troubleshoot, first clean the heads on the drive. If you've never done it before, get a cleaning tape and clean them a few times. Then try again.

If this doesn't help, try isolating the drive. Make sure the drive is hooked directly to the computer, and not routed through other devices or a hub. If this doesn't work, use a different cable to connect the drive. Finally, if you're still having problems, take the drive to another Macintosh.

If you feel that you have a bad tape, you can mark the member as "missing" and continue on to the next tape. Configure > Backup Sets > Configure > Members. Highlight the member and mark "Set Missing" Any data on the missing member that still exists on the source drive will be copied to the next member when the backup is next executed.

Quote:

If you feel that you have a bad tape, you can mark the member as "missing" and continue on to the next tape. Configure > Backup Sets > Configure > Members. Highlight the member and mark "Set Missing" Any data on the missing member that still exists on the source drive will be copied to the next member when the backup is next executed.

So if I can't repair that tape (#7), theoreticaly I could mark it as missing and re-record on it as tape #8. As long as all of the data is still on the source drive everything will be backed up.

Do I have that correct?

I've moved on to tape #8. At some point during the backup, the program stopped. I get the spinning beachball and have to force quit.

I've tried to repair the existing catalog. It gets started and goes along okay, then nothing. At this moment, the recatalog window says "resynchronizing (slow)..." bu there's not activity on the AIT drive.

retro.jpg

I've cleaned the heads twice and swapped out the firewire cable (working with a LaCie AIT II drive). The drive is connected directly to the computer.

Anything else it could be? We've got quite a few projects to backup.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks Amy.

Have you seen any reports of systems hanging when backing up? This seems to be happening fairly regularly when we're backing up now.

I started a new backup this morning and the program hanged (hung? smile.gif ) after a short while. When I tried to repair the catalog, the program froze again.

Archived