Can't span CD-RW disks

bmcclellan

I am trying to create a new backup using CD-RW disks. The backup is around 3.2 MB, so it has to span multiple disks. When the first disk fills, the program ejects the disk automatically. When I put the second disk in, the "Select new disk" window still shows the name of the first disk (1-BAP SET C) and will not accept that disk. If I examine the disk directly, it has been labelled as shown, so I now have 2 disks with the "1-BAP SET C" label. The second disk also contains a large Retrospect backup file.

I tried putting the first disk back in after the eject and then ejected and put it in again, then switched to a second disk and that seemed to work. I did the same thing when I switched to the third disk. The program then hung with about 300KB of files remaining.

I am using Windows XP professional with all current software updates. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 8100. The drive is a SonyCD-RW CRX810E. I am using Retrospect Express 5.6.132.

Any ideas?

This drive is not yet supported for use with Retrospect. For a list of currently qualified devices, please see:

Hardware Search Engine

Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test. This means that not every drive will be qualified and we can never guarantee that a particular device will be supported.

Our current version, Retrospect 6.5, allows the creation of a custom configuration.

After creating a custom configuration, you should perform a backup with verification turned on to ensure that Retrospect works properly with the device. With the release of Retrospect 6.5 the CD/DVD Drive Configurator now tests DVD recordable drives in addition to CD recordable drives. It has also been improved to support multiple writing methods for greater compatibility with the latest CD/DVD drives that have not yet been tested by DantzLab.

http://www.dantz.com/products/win_professional/

Archived