Error 34 Using 4.3 to backup to file

I'm trying to backup 34Gb from our RAID to an External firewire drive with 47.5Gb free space over the network. The external is OS Extended (HFS+).

I'm getting an Error 34.

Using retrospect 4.3 on OS 8.6 on a G3 and backing up to an external attached to a G4 running 10.2.6.

Do I get limitations on file size using 4.3?

Any thoughts on what I can try next and whether I'm trying to do something impossible would be very helpfull.

Many thanks

Ian

File backup sets on network hard drives are limited to 2 gig whether using Retrospect 4.3 or Retrospect 5.0. This is an AppleShare limitation.

You may want to look into doing duplicates rather then backups, or attach the hard drive locally. If you plan on doing a local file backup set, you will need to upgrade to 5.0 in order to accomodate the amount of data you have. One other option is to use "Internet" backup sets if you set up the network drive as an FTP site on your network.

See the following article for more information on backup and duplicate:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27386

Many thanks Amy

Between backing up over network vs local, 4.3 v 5, and backup v duplicate I was getting a bit confused there. I'll try Duplicating - though I have a strong suspicion that, without compression, I'll get a -34 error.

Ho hum!! I'll get there eventually!!

Thanks again for your help

Ian

Archived