Restore applications

I know that my backed up volume has the system corrupted, so I installed in my computer's internal disk a fresh system from Apple CD and then updated it to 10.2.6. Now, starting from the external disk running OS X 10.2.6 I'd want restore from my File Backup (situated on it) only the various applications (about 20!), their pref. files, support files, etc. but I don't know each files' name and the different places where the applications installers placed them.

When Restore an Entire Disk on a volume with a fresh system, will the Restore operation erase the fresh system replacing it with the old one?

Thanks,

Giagas

Quote:

When Restore an Entire Disk on a volume with a fresh system, will the Restore operation erase the fresh system replacing it with the old one?

No. Retrospect will not delete items in system directories. This would include the System Folder if you were running OS 9, or /System, /bin, /sbin, etc when running in OS X.

Items that are in the Backup set but not in the temporary system will be added, but nothing will be deleted. That's why it's necessary for the temporary system version to match the version on the Backup Set.

Everything else (/Applications, /Users, etc) will be deleted and replaced with the new ones.

Dave

Quote:

Everything else (/Applications, /Users, etc) will be deleted and replaced with the new ones.

I should have made clear that things that don't match are deleted; items that match exactly are not deleted or copied over from the Backup Set, just left where they are.

Dave

You wrote: "Items that are in the Backup set but not in the temporary system will be added, but nothing will be deleted. That's why it's necessary for the temporary system version to match the version on the Backup Set."

1) Why do you call the fresh system "temporary" when it is destinated to remain?

2) So, to solve my problem, have I to perform just a Restore an Entire Disk on a fresh system (the same version of the backed up one) and I will find a new system with all my applications, settings, etc at their place?

3) If the backed up system was OK, why install a fresh system on the destination disk? When my backed up system was OK I esecuted a Restore from an external disk to the inizialited empty computer's disk and then it booted and worked perfectly.

Excuse for the many question but that issues are not treated clearly enough in the manual. Thanks.

Giagas

1) Why do you call the fresh system "temporary" when it is destinated to remain?

Beause the User account you make will be temporary; it will be replaced with your actual User account information and preferences

2) So, to solve my problem, have I to perform just a Restore an Entire Disk on a fresh system (the same version of the backed up one) and I will find a new system with all my applications, settings, etc at their place?

Yes

3) If the backed up system was OK, why install a fresh system on the destination disk? When my backed up system was OK I esecuted a Restore from an external disk to the inizialited empty computer's disk and then it booted and worked perfectly.

It's what you asked about. If you can boot from another external source and run Retrospect from there, a Restore Entire to a freshly ereased volume is easier.

Dave

Archived