DVD-RW generates 206 error backing up multiple drives, but not when backing up single drive

I'm running Retrospect 5.0.238 on a 600 MHz iMac G3, backing up to an EZQuest BOA DVD-RW/CD-RW. If I back up the iMac's internal HD by itself, the drive backs up normally. If I back the same drive up to the same DVD-RW along with other drives on a Retrospect client, I get many (90-300) 206 errors during the compare of that drive (but not the other drives). In my experience, 206 errors generally render the remainder of a CD unusable. In this case, the backup continues to back up drives on the Retrospect client without any errors.

I can't imagine why backing up more than one drive generates hardware errors on one drive (the same one every time), but backing up the drive individually doesn't. Anyone have any ideas?

Strangely enough, if I change the order the drives are backed up in, the 206 errors go away. Before, I was backing up the iMac's internal drive first, and then two drives connected to a Retrospect client. But if I move the local drive to second place, the 206 errors disappear. Whattup with that?

I'd chalk it up to SCSI voodoo, but the drives are ATA or Firewire, and the backup device is Firewire too.

Archived