Incremental BU Question

EdP

An incremental backup is a backup to an already existing backup set, right?

According to the PDF manual, Express does this a little differently than other products in that it compares the properties of each file rather than using only the attribute archive bit. This technique replaces any changed files.

New files are added, however, I could not find in the documentation whether or not files deleted from the source are also deleted from the backup set. If they are not deleted, then the backup set can get pretty large over time. On the other hand, I can see why it would not be done because it *is* a backup, after all.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Files cannot be selectively deleted from backup sets - unless you do a Recycle backup, which erases the entire set. A Normal backup appends the changed data, which will, as you stated, get pretty large over time.

We recommend rotating more then one backup set for safety and security (allowing one set to be kept off site if possible). Additionally, should a backup file corrupt or be lost, another backup set is available.

To keep the size managable, you could recycle the backup sets periodically - staggering the dates - so that you always have at least one copy of restorable, historical data. The recycle interval is dependent on how much historical data you want, and any size limitations with space.

Thanks, Amy ...

I did a search on "recycle" in the PDF manual and found some good information on that backup action. The manual is pretty good and if you get a hint on what to look for, it's even better. wink.gif

Archived