retrospect 4.3 hogging up dat tape space at an alarming rate on Mac

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help with this. A friend who's my mac guru simply said what he always, says, "upgrade, it'll get rid of your problems!" Not my company, so not an option at this time. I'm running retrospect 4.3 on a G4 OS 9.1 and had been also backing up an OS X client as well. I used to back up the preferences folder, as well as the entire documents folder & the client and was able to get 3-4 weeks from one tape. The client kept shutting off overnight unexpectedly and the repair people thought it was a retrospect issue (after it received three new power supplies, two new logic boards we booted it back to Apple, it's a lemon!!) So now it's just the server backing up. For some reason I'm going through an entire tape in just one day. This is without the client, and I've even started to only back up one folder under the documents level. I'm doing a lot of graphics, but not more than I had been before, and I've dumped over 8gb of data from the hard drive. I know I'm using the ssame size tapes as before and I've also turned on compression, but this doesn't seem to help very much. Recently I was simply calling up an old file and the entire system crashed. I ended up having to do a clean reinstall. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Quote:

I'm running retrospect 4.3 on a G4 OS 9.1 and had been also backing up an OS X client as well.

It's not possible to backup an OS X client with Retrospect 4.3 - can you outline how you're backing up this machine?

The following FAQ link has articles on capacity and compression:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=common_questions_detail&ACTION=COMMON_QUESTIONS_DETAIL&id=49

Archived