Incremental backup problem

nflem

I have ver 5.6 of Retrospect Express.

I created a backup to CD of selected files on (3) of my hard drives.

When I try to do an incremental to this backup Retrospect starts to copy all the files from all (3) drives to the CD, not the files I had selected for the original backup.

Do the files have to be reselected every time I do an incremental ???

I can't find any information about this in the manual.

Thanks,

Neil

When using the Immediate Backup > Preview window, Retrospect will always generate a new live picture of the source. For this reason, file selection criteria is not retained. In the Professional version and higher, you have the ability to create/save a selector which will remember your choices.

With the Express Edition, you can create subvolumes (folders you designate as an independent volumes for use within Retrospect) to backup individual folders rather then the entire drive. This method will not work for individual files - only folders.

While in the Volume selection window, highlight your C: drive and click the Subvolume button. You'll see a window with all the folders on the root level of your C: drive. Highlight the first folder you'd like to backup and click the Define button. The individual folder will now be available as a potential backup source. Repeat this proceedure for each individual folder you'd like to backup.

We are definitely sensitive to people's needs for a full-featured backup product. Retrospect Express, we believe, provides this while omitting the "whistles and bells" that, while invaluable to many, are too much for the average single user. Fully customizable selectors (which allow for specific file backup, among other things) are only a feature of the full version of Retrospect (Professional and higher), and are not likely to be added to Retrospect Express in the future.

Archived