Select a disk to add as storage to ...

boskovuk

Currently, I'm in trial mode with:

Retrospect Backup 6.5.276

I am not sure why Retrospect keeps me asking additional storage space. More details are listed below:

I am trying to do "Immediate Backup to Hard Drive" following these instructions:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27812

The backup hard drive is not on the machine with Retrospect. However, it is accessible through LAN.

The hard drive is completely empty with 28.7 GB available space 13.5 GB is the total size of all 'Sources' that I want to backup.

When I ask Retrospect to start the backup, after ~30 seconds it comes back to me with the new window and request:

... Select a disk to add as storage to all-Backup ...

Why am I asked this question since my hard drive has more than enough space (~27 GB) to hold what I need to backup (~13.5 GB)?

Even worse, I am not able to force Retrospect to accept this hard drive as an answer to this question. I had to cancel the backup process without success.

Quote:

Even worse, I am not able to force Retrospect to accept this hard drive as an answer to this question. I had to cancel the backup process without success.

What specifically happens when you try to add your network drive? What messages do you see?

Quote:

Quote:

What specifically happens when you try to add your network drive? What messages do you see?

I see my backup-disk, available through "My Network Places".

I highlight it and press 'Proceed'.

A new window, 'Add New Member to all-Backup' shows up - I 'ok' it.

Retrospect replies back with a new window, saying: 'The disk is not accessible'

(at this moment, I have to press ok and either select another disk or cancel the backup process).

Let me know if I can provide more info ...

Errors like this can refer to permissions issues, incompatibility issues or problems with the drive.

What Operating System are you using? What kind of network drive is it, and how is it formatted? Is it part of another computer or is it NAS?

What happens if you try another disk on your network? Do you see the same error - or is the problem specific to this one drive?

As a test, if you install Retrospect locally on the computer with the storage drive, can you add it as a member? Does the problem only occur when trying to access across the network?

Basically, our LAN has several machines. Two of them are Win 2K based and I am using Retrospect only with these two (so far).

Quote:

Errors like this can refer to permissions issues, incompatibility issues or problems with the drive.

Retrospect Window title reports that it is run by Administrator. Currently, I am logged in as an ordinary user, not the Administrator. Could this be cause of the problem?

Quote:

What Operating System are you using? What kind of network drive is it, and how is it formatted? Is it part of another computer or is it NAS?

What happens if you try another disk on your network? Do you see the same error - or is the problem specific to this one drive?

Both Windows machine are based on Win2K and connected through a router.

Machine A, the one with Retrospect installed on it, has only one hard drive.

Machine B, accessible through LAN, has two hard drives within it. One of them is FAT32, the other one is NTFS based.

The problem is specific to NTFS drive. I am able to execute backup procedures to FAT32 drive in fast and successful way.

Quote:

As a test, if you install Retrospect locally on the computer with the storage drive, can you add it as a member? Does the problem only occur when trying to access across the network?

As you suggested, I have installed Retrospect on other computer, with the NTFS drive that causes problems. From that machine, I am able to execute and successfully execute backup procedure. However, it takes too long and behavious in strange maner (I made a new post that explains this problem:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Windows&Number=25998&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

).

Any new ideas?

Archived