Can't use scroll bars in log and snapshots (re-visited)

A while back I posted about not being able to use scroll bars in the log window and the snapshot window. One of the suggestions that I got was to re-install retrospect if I could not solve the problem. I never was able to solve the problem doing that and I am still plagued with the same problem. I just re-installed my system software and the retrospect application with nothing else installed and I still can't use the scroll bars. The work around is to use the arrow keys. This problem only occurs in Retrospect and no other applications or windows. I set up Retrospect from scratch (did not copy over previous preferences or data).

My system specs:

PowerComputing PowerCenter 150 with 160MB RAM, OS 9.1, 10GB IDE drive, 100GB IDE drive, Retrospect 5.0.236.

Although Retrospect works fine, this has been a nagging problem that has existed ever since I purchased the Retrospect 5 upgrade (well over a year now).

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with the scroll bars (but only under os 9). However I ran across the following

tidbit in Aladdin's stuffit FAQ: <http://www.aladdinsys.com/support/techsupport/qanda.php?id=238>

The gist of it is that you have to have certain extensions installed under os 9 in order for things to

work properly. This is especially true for custom installs. My OS 9 custom installation omitted

everything from the list except Apple Share.

The complete list is:

Apple Share extension

Multi-User Startup extension

Multiple Users control panel

Security Cert Module

Security Library

Security Manager

Security Policy Manager

Security Storage Module

I already had to add the Security extensions so I could use software update, but having to install

multiple users on a single-user machine just seems odd. Fortunately, you don't have to turn multiple

users "on" - you just have to have the extension enabled.

Once I had all of the above installed and enabled, the scroll bars worked correctly in ALL windows

in retrospect 5. I notice some occasional delays between a click and a response, but it's very minor

compared to before. And yes, the arrow keys and page up/down keys still work too.

It's not clear WHY these particular extensions are required to make scroll bars work correctly in

some applications (not all of them have this problem). Perhaps it has something to do with

the carbonization process...

Anyway, I hope this provides immediate relief to other scroll bar sufferers.

gmg

• 1 month later...

Actually, the stuff I said in a previous post did NOT resolve the problem. It was coincidental.

Apparantly, the scroll bars work for a little while right after booting or rebooting, but as time

goes by, they stop working again. Since this is acknowledged as an actual bug, I guess we'll

have to wait for a fix, and use the keyboard navigation as a workaround. I've learned to live

with it, but it's a bit disappointing, because retrospect 4.3 doesn't have this problem under

OS 9.2.x.

Archived