Genie Backup--feature & UI incorporation into RP

I recently bought another backup program, Genie-Backup Manager v4

I'm still using Retrospect Pro 6.5, but GBM is a very useful and interesting backup solution. It doesn't have as many features as Retrospect, but it's a lot easier to use for specific backups e.g. some email programs (Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora), IE favorites, Windows Registry, multiple specific folders, etc. without resorting to "Selectors." And it allows the user to restore some of these things (including the relevant Registry settings) without needing to know the underlying file & folder structures. And the user interface seems easier and "prettier" than RP in many areas.

It can write to harddrives, network drives, CDs, DVDs, etc. with spanning & file size limit capabilities. It also saves it's normal output files as *.gbm" files which are really ZIP files with a different suffix. The nice thing about this is that I know I'll be able to read the ZIP files/archives from any platform & OS years from now (something that may not be possible with .rbf files).

It would be worthwhile for Dantz to check out this competitive product and consider incorporating some of its features and ease-of-use.

Archived