please suggest a good USB CD-RW drive

I'm looking for a USB CD-RW drive that will work with Windows 2000. I've looked on the list of supported hardware devices, and I am having trouble finding one that is still being sold on the retail market. All the ones I've checked on are no longer being sold (i.e., they are appear to have been replaced by newer models that have not been tested yet for Retrospect compatibility.

Can anyone suggest a Retrospect-supported USB CD-RW drive that is a good product and currently available?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Larry Barsalou

Retrospect includes built-in recognition for many CD-RW drives. For drives that are not recognized, you can create a custom configuration.

After creating a custom configuration, you should perform a backup with verification turned on to ensure that Retrospect works properly with the device. With the release of Retrospect 6.5 the CD/DVD Drive Configurator now tests DVD recordable drives in addition to CD recordable drives. It has also been improved to support multiple writing methods for greater compatibility with the latest CD/DVD drives that have not yet been tested by DantzLab.

• 3 weeks later...

Plextor drives are usually good.

Retrospect supports the ATAPI version of the 48/24/48 ($30 rebate til 30 June 2003). I expect that I, and my sister, will be ordering this drive.

I suspect that the USB 48/24/48 might work too (no rebate).

But make sure you use USB 2,

Archived