XP OEM vs Retail versions

jelenko

Just to confirm. Retrospect Disaster Recovery works, in general, with OEM versions of Win XP?

I bought an OEM version of Win XP [software only, no system/hardware]. Been using it for 5 months now. Works fine.

But, Retrospect trys to build a 700MB+ Disaster Recovery - too big. I was able to cut down the size by copying the i386 directory to the hard disk then deleting the 'upgrade' subdirectories.

After building/burning the Disaster Recovery CD [no errors/messages], the Disaster Recover CD doesn't work. I.e, as soon as it boots, it says it can't find a file. Set up does find the file after inserting the OEM CD. Set up continues to 99% of files loaded, then says it cant load hive something. I've rebuilt the CD 4 times. Always the same result.

I was told that the problem is probably because the setup 'script' in the OEM version is different from what Retrospect is looking for.

I'd really like to get my install so the Disaster Recovery CD works. [i really like Disaster Recovery]. Any ideas? I'm more than happy to try to edit setup/config files that may be in the i386 directory.

Thanks

Thanks

Archived