Restored disk is corrupt - bad program bindings

I booted off of system disk B, backed up system disk A, upgraded the drive, restored all of the files to A, and booted from A. After I did this, one particular program binding was broken. Double-clicking on a .PDF document didn't launch Acrobat, but tried to open the PDF document with some really bizarre text file buried way inside my Library folder. Get Info on the PDF file indeed showed that it was bound to this file (it was shown as DEFAULT). Changing the Open With to Acrobat and then launching it caused Acrobat to tell me that it was not the default for opening PDF documents and did I want to make it the default. Clicking yes caused the binding to change BACK to the bizarre text file. Choosing 'Change All' in the Get Info box did the same (wrong binding). The only way to solve the problem was to do an archive install of a new system folder. Yuck!

I remember that on OS9, a Retrospect volume restore would usually corrupt many of my aliases and I would have to fix them afterwards. I think this is a symptom of the same problem where Retrospect isn't setting something properly. Do Aliases and Bindings use pointers or inodes and a Restore changes them?

I have the tape and am willing to send it to Dantz for analysis.

Quote:

Yuck!

Indeed.

Could you describe your experience using detailed information?

Perhaps include the version of Mac OS you're using, as well as the version of Retrospect (always a good place to start).

After that, a step by step description of how you did your backup/restore would go a long way towards discovering what might have gone wrong.

Different versions of Mac OS X handle Launch Services differently.

Dave

When backup server is running, "About Retrospect..." is dimmed. I had to stop my backup server to give you this answer.

MacOS 10.2.6 on a Quicksilver G4

Retrospect 5.0.238

- Immediate Backup to DLT of only my startup disk (the disk I was NOT booted from).

- Replace the disk and then run an Immediate Restore (Restore entire disk).

- Change the startup disk to the restored disk and reboot.

The problem was immediate and according to Apple there is no way to rip out the bad data. On OS9 I could simply fix all the aliases (it was a pain, but at least I could do it).

>- Immediate Backup to DLT of only my startup disk (the disk I was NOT booted from).

The startup disk is, by definition, the disk you're booted from. But I take this to mean that you've booted from some other drive for the purposes of this backup. Is this drive running 10.2.6, and is 10.2.6 the OS on the non-booted-usual-startup-disk?

- Replace the disk and then run an Immediate Restore (Restore entire disk).

Is the new disk freshly formatted/erased?

>The problem was immediate and according to Apple there is no way to rip out the bad data.

Who said that there was a need to rip out bad data? Did the tech support person at Apple re-create the problem, and thus be able to know what was wrong and know that ripping out data was necessary, but impossible?

If the three steps you provide reproduce the problem every time, you might want to instead do a Live Restore to a temporary system install on the new drive (that you boot up from). Be sure the temp system is the same OS version as what's on the Backup Set. Let us know if that behaves differently.

Dave

Archived