Pls HELP!!! Re: 1000GB error when backing up a windows client

My client is A PR Firm that is for the most part running on Macs with OS Ranging in the 9.0.4-9.2.2 range. They have a couple of PC Laptops running on XP(client is running 5.6 for windows). The Retrospect server is running 10.1.5 and 5.0.238. The problem I am having is when Retrospect attempts to back up one particular Laptop(XP, 20Gb HD w/only 5Gbs being used), I get the error "1000GB limit on backup..." I know for a fact that this laptop has no where near that amount on its drive, but I can't seem to figure out why it is doing this or better yet, how to fix it so I can backup that laptop. Any help would be great. Thanks in Advance-MacMedic

www.macmedic911.com

When scanning a Windows client, Retrospect 5.0.236 and 5.0.238 may incorrectly report an amount of data to back up that far exceeds the total capacity of the volume scanned. This problem occurs when Retrospect encounters one or more "finder.dat" files on the Windows client volume. Finder.dat files are created when dual-fork Macintosh files are copied to a Windows volume through utilities such as Mac OS's File Exchange or Retrospect's Duplicate functionality. They are used to track the multiple parts of the Mac file while it's on the Windows volume. Dantz is working on a solution to this problem. In the meantime, deleting the finder.dat files from the Windows client volume will alleviate the problem, though the files they represent cannot later be returned to a Mac OS computer with their Mac-specific properties intact.

To be notified when this issue has been resolved, please sign up for the following newsletter:

http://list.dantz.com/mailman/listinfo/finder.dat

Additional information on finder.dat files can be found in the following Dantz Knowledgebase article:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=26856

What this means is that certain Mac-specific metadata will be lost, such as resource forks, type/creator, application associations, etc. will be lost. The data fork will be intact, though. This means that you could copy a Word Doc, for instance, from the PC back to the Mac and it would appear as a generic file. If you tell you Mac system to open the file with Word then the document will open normally.

On the other hand, a Mac application copied back to the Mac will likely no longer launch. The behavior will be very similar to what happens when you Finder-copy data from a Mac to a PC that is not running Services For Mac and then copy it back to a Mac.

-PJ

Archived