DVD VS TAPE

mladensk

I am currently backing up to CD-Rs but I have several issues with this. First, I am at 5 CDRs after doing a couple of incremental backups so then I have to do a recycle backup every couple of times. This multi CD setup means I have to babysit the backup process which can take over 2 hours between writing and verifying. The second issue is that every once in a while one of the CDs becomes unreadable. I don't know why as they are stored safely. ONce I do a recycle backup, it is fine again.

I was considering moving to an external hard drive but was told that is not the best solution as I will be moving this drive frequently for off site storage and that will maybe damage it. So the other options are tape and DVD. I was thinking tape but at the local store, they suggested writable DVD. I would appreciate others thoughts on this and perhaps suggestions on which tape drive if that is the way I should go. I want a secure yet economical solution that won't require me to spend hours per week on backup.

Archived