Script for Express 5.15 for Windows

Jeff2003

Hi... I am hoping someone might point me in the right direction regarding a backup plan suggestion.

I am currently using Retrospect Express 5.15 for Windows to do backups to an external (USB 2.0) hard drive. Other than a real variation in compare speeds (I haven't got enough information to post about this issue just yet), Retrospect Express works well. The computer is running Windows 2000 Professional.

My current plan is to run a Recycle backup once a week, and to perform a Normal backup daily. I will alternate between two different backup sets.

My question really concerns automating this task. I believe that I have read that Retrospect Express does not offer scripting for File backups to an external hard drive. Is this correct? If so, what are my options for other Retrospect programs? Do any do Normal file backups to an external hard drive in a manner that can be scripted? (I am also running Norton Ghost weekly as an additional safeguard, mainly because it is so fast at performing the image backup.) I like the way Retrospect keeps track of changed files, and I'd like to continue using it; but, I am hoping to automate the process a little. (I could probably find information about this in Knowledge Base, but, I am hoping to get some options regarding what I am trying to do, too.)

Also, I am curious why each file set that Retrospect Express creates is 4,294,967 KB in size. At least that is the size displayed in Explorer. Why would that file size stay the same when I either add a few programs, or remove a few programs?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can respond.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, Retrospect Express does allow scripting of a backup to a hard drive. While we don't have a tutorial specifially for that operation, the following tutorial will walk you through an Immediate Backup to hard drive. In Step 7, rather then starting the backup, you can click the clock icon which will create a script based on the choices you made for the Immediate Backup. Give the script a name, and schedule it accordingly.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27447

A file backup set should only grow as large as the backup, give or take. If you are backing up to a hard drive with Retrospect 5.15, make sure you are using a File backup set, and not a Disk backup set.

Retrospect 6.5 will allow backups to hard drive with Disk backup sets, and allow you to span hard drives if desired.

http://www.dantz.com/products/

Archived