Strange file names

BILLB

Hi Again!

I originally posted this back on March 4, 2003 and did not get an answer from anyone.

I'd really appreciate some clarification on this.

My OS is Windows 95 and I'm using Retrospect Express 5.0

Here's the question:

When I'm do a Primary Backup, the last 2 disks seem to load a very large number of file types that I have never seen before. They take up at least 60mb of space and require a very long time to load - close to an hour actually. These files are very small in size (exact size not

known) and there are literally thousands of them.

They look like this example: "CAOP_ _ _ _"

The 4 dashes represent other letters and numbers that constantly change as the files load.

They just change too fast to write them down so you can reference them. It shoulod also be noted that the first 4 letters also change rarther often; and appear to "count up" through the alphabet. Also, these "files" have no 3 letter extension like "doc" or "txt".

If anyone has a clue as to what these files are, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks!

I really don't know what these files are. If you can get the name of at least one of them, you can do a search on your computer to find the file/directory. Lots of very small files are usually cached internet files or image files.

The newer OS's will allow you to search for files by size, however, I don't know if Win95 had this ability.

In Retrospect, you can go to Immediate Backup and click Preview to scan your C: drive. In the browser window you can view files on your hard drive, and possibly find the directory containing these small files.

Hi Amy!

The files in question aren't Internet Cache files. I use Norton Clean Sweep to get rid of all that junk before I do any backups. Also, any files that Clean Sweep doesn't catch, I delete maually from Windows Explorer.

These files also do NOT show up in any of my directories, nor do they show up in the Preview in Retrospect Express.

I'll keep investigating and let you know if I find anything out.

Thanks anyway!

Bill

Archived