Exclude Retrospect Catalog files?

How do I put together a selector that will exclude Retrospect Catalog files? There is little point in backing up catalog files to the main backup set. I prefer to use a special backup set that just backs up the catalog files. If my disk fails, then I can re-create the catalog for this special set from a rather small backup set (usually 1 CD-RW), which is a lot faster than scanning a whole tape.

I have tried many methods, some based on Unix paths, but nothing works. Unfortunately, the documentaion for selectors is somewhat lacking.

What I have now is a selector (for my main backups) that excludes:

Enclosing folder path name contains `Users/admin/Retrospect Folder'. My catalog files are in

/Users/admin/Retrospect Folder/

Excluding all Retrospect files might be a good idea, but it is not what I wanted.

I found something interesting. Experimenting with the Find utility in the backup set browser, I discovered that

path name contains Users/admin/Retrospect

did not find any files. However

path name contains admin/Retrospect

did find the folder "/Users/admin/Retrospect Folder" (quote marks added for clarity). So did:

path name contains Documents/admin/Retrospect

and

path name contains "admin/Retrospect Folder".

I have the partition that otherwise would be mounted as /Volumes/Documents, mounted via fstab (using UUID) on /Users. The partition name "Documents" does not show up in any Terminal/shell command results that I can think of, such as "pwd". But Retrospect prefers to identify the path exclusively as Documents/admin/Retrospect Folder. This appears to be a translation of the MacOS 9 path "Documents:admin:Retrospect Folder:".

I hope the next major revision of Retrospect will support paths as they are seen in a shell.

Archived