Retrospect Freezes Help!!!!

treyrutledge

In September I purchased a Yamaha CDRW which came with Retrospect Express. I did not use the program for daily backups, but did decide to use it to save some files during a recent computer overhaul and it did a fine job of storing these files on CD-R. After I finished building my new rig, I decided to restore my old files. So I installed Nero then Retrospect. When I fired up Retrospect, at the Welcome screen I enter my key code (already was there) I hit OK and the program just freezes. The hard-drive continues to churn like it is looking for something and can't find? Then, after about 30 minutes the next screen pops up and says enter your name and company........etc.....etc.......I did not go any further than this because my hard-drive was working preety hard indeed. I never made it to the beginning of the program to actually do ANYTHING! Here are some things I have tried: re-installed (3x), turn off system restore, checked aspi and loaded aspi and was found to be ok, updated driver, still no good. Here are some system specs: Asus A7N8X, WD "Raptor" hard-drive (which is seen as a scsi device because it is a native sata drive), Windows XP. Every other App. on my computer is working flawlessly. One other thing, I have added a virtual drive which is also listed as a scsi device. This drive was not on my other computer. Thanx for any help you could offer.

Never used this forum before but have been waiting for the previous post. I have a 4 month old Dell 4550 w/XP, Western Digital 80gig hard drive, running fine until I had the exact some problem with Retrospect Express. Couldn't even install it-- just froze-- hard drive cranking away. Had to cut the power to my system to get it to function further on any level. Maybe this is happening to several people we can get it solved here. I'd like some info that might allow us to TRY your product. Can't say I'm thrilled with the installation process.

A likely cause is a conflict with another installed program.

Uninstall and reboot. Go to Run > msconfig. On the Services tab, hide all Microsoft Services - and uncheck everything else (third-party services). Do the same for the Startup tab. Reboot and install / launch Retrospect. Do you see a successful launch? If so, start enabling your services and startup items slowly to see where the conflict lies.

Thanks Amy, you solved my problem. Now if only the people at Asus would fix all the problems with the A7N8X, but thats another forum. The problem was with a little app. called TGT Visual Styles. I use it for screen themes. I can't believe that was the problem. It was not even the program itself, but an actual theme that was borking up Retrospect. Go figure? Thanks for your help. blush.gif

Amy AND Trey,

Thank you both! I guess this is what happens when a forum truly works! I too run Style XP from TGT Soft; current theme 'chrome4 xp'. Retrospect now installed like a charm! I'm so light headed with joy I'll have to wait half an hour before I start using it! Whoohoo!

Archived