Error message "Sorry, restore preparation Failed, error -808 (key/refnum search failed)"

srjfogg

In the process of reinstalling all software from scratch on a Dell Windows ME PC to rectify corrupt sound drivers files. Having backed up all personal data files onto a number of single backup set IOMEGA zip disks, trying to restore these onto the PC. When I try to recreate catalog, I get a completed message but the clock hand continues to whizz round ad infinitum, when I select any other program the PC locks up. When I reboot PC and try to restore, the catalog appears to be there but when I select any options for restore I get the message in the post title line above.

Currently running Norton Anti Virus 2002, 3 peripherals in USB ports (HP scanner, HP printer and a web cam)

What am I doing wrong? Any advice?

This is my second major issue with this software. The 1st one related to being totally unable to use multiple zip drives or CD-RW discs when backing up one backup set. Any ideas on that one would also be welcomed.

Have you installed the Zip disk drivers from Iomega? Make sure your Iomega software is up to date.

When you recreate the catalog, where are you saving it to? A local drive? External drive? Network drive? Try saving to a new location for better results.

How many disks are in your set? Are you able to recatalog multiple members or is there only one member in set? After the catalog rebuild, try to verify the backup set through Tools > Verify. What are the results?

Do you have another computer to which you can hook up the zip drive and try a recatalog and test restore? This would help isolate whether the problem is coming from the drive or the computer.

Quote:

The 1st one related to being totally unable to use multiple zip drives or CD-RW discs when backing up one backup set. Any ideas on that one would also be welcomed.

Without any additional information, it is not possible to advise on this issue. Please detail the issue you are experiencing.

Archived