Full backup to removable hard drive then Daily CD

seaview

I have about 80G of data to backup. I have done a successful compressed backup to the removable drive that will be stored off site. I am very happy with this and the speed.

Rather than doing backups to the backup hard drive daily I want to do additional backups to CDR drive daily to compliment the backup hard drive. As far as I can see I would have to have two backup sets and one would not be aware of the other so defeats the retrospect system. 80G is a lot to backup on CD with Verify! I have tried CD backup of the 80G some time back and just do not have the time or patience of swapping all the CD’s

If I was to have two hard drives and alternate daily and keep one off site would I just swap them each day?

I know tape backup is best for this but for the data size tape backup is an expensive option with these capacities.

What is the advantage of disk over file backup other than spanning? I see the disk backup to the backup hard drive creates 620M files. Does this mean if one file in the disk fails out of many you can still recover the non damaged data?

I am just looking for a cost effective and reliable backup strategy for a large amount of data.

I have used Travan tape backup in the distant past from TR1 to TR4 tapes. They have been notoriously unreliable even when keeping the drive clean and the tapes re tensioned. I would have a printout saying the backup was verified but then would find it was corrupt months later. I would also have the drive hunting for hours trying to write. I would never use Travan again.

Thanks for your time.

Quote:

If I was to have two hard drives and alternate daily and keep one off site would I just swap them each day?

Yes, this is possible. You'll need to create a backup set for each drive. Each respective drive will be a member of the set created for that drive.

Archived