OS X client 5.0.540 shuts off when moved.

Maccelerate

Retrospect Workgroup 5 running on Power Mac 8500 (G3 upgraded) Mac OS 9.1, 384 MB RAM.

VXA-1 via Adaptec 2930 UW.

Client: Pismo PowerBook G3 running Mac OS X (10.2.5) and Retro Client 5.0.540.

Never set to sleep except when using battery on the road.

I move my PowerBook all around the city. Every night I come back to the home office, plug in the 'Book to the ethernet and my Retro client has turned itself off. I initially waited to see if it would turn itself back on once I connected to the proper network, but it 'never' does. I have to manually remember to turn it back on. The Backup Server will commence immediately and continue to work normally until the 'Book is moved to another network. If the 'Book is left on the network it will back up via the Backup Server normally and via the script I've set up for the whole drive as scheduled.

I have noticed that the same behaviour will occur when I have taken the 'Book downstairs to work over Airport. It doesn't work at all over Airport even though I can access all the servers and file shared clients and printers over Airport. When I return to the wired ethernet, the client will remain off until I turn it on.

What it DOES NOT do:

Retro client doesn't shut off during a backup as per a previous thread, and it doesn't say "waiting for TCP/IP" since I've updated to the v.5.0.540 client. It also doesn't shut off after a particular period of time—only when it gets moved. I get no error messages in the Retro log, or in the OS X Console, it just doesn't back up. I run repair privileges religiously once a week.

The server has been completely rebuilt (about 4 times in January due to the ASIP compatibility problem) and clients have all been un-and-reinstalled at least twice.

Archived